Accu-Cast offers more types of alginate and more useful information about alginate than anyone.
You have come to the right place to find out about Alginate
- Ready to purchase Alginate?
- Need to find out more about Alginate?
- Interested in our Alginate Prices?
- Want an easy-to-use LifeCasting Kit?
- LifeCasting Procedural Guides
- Gallery of Project Types
Here's the Short Answer to the question "What is Alginate?"
- Alginate is a powder.
- When mixed with water, it forms a thick liquid.
- This liquid will change to a rubbery solid in a few minutes- depending on the formula you choose.
- If alginate is placed against the skin it makes an incredibly accurate mold of the skin- right down to the fingerprints.
- Alginate has been in everyday use worldwide for over about 80 years.
- It is INCREDIBLY safe and completely hypoallergenic.
Our experience making alginate goes back to 1969. As far as we can tell, we make more alginate formulas than anyone- 21 at last count. We make alginates that set in anywhere from 1 minute 20 seconds to over 10 minutes. Ten of our formulas are offered on our website- the other 11 are custom formulas developed for various companies to meet their specific needs.
There really is a lot more to alginate than most people think. The properties we balance are:
- Water/Powder ratio
- Mixed viscosity
- Setting time
- Setting firmness
- Setting flexibility
- Shrinkage rate
If you need an alginate for a specific use- chances are VERY GOOD that we have it already on the shelf. If not, we could most likely make it for you.