Child Hand Casting Kit
FREE SHIPPING on orders of over $50.
Complete Child Hand Casting Kit is an easy and fun way to learn this art form. The kit is complete. EXCLUSIVE BONUS: It even includes a second bag of alginate- just in case the first mold doesn't come out so well.
Difficulty Rating 2/10
Child Hand Casting Kit- Procedure
- Measure out the water and pour it into the "Mix-In-The-Bag" alginate bag.
- Mix the alginate according to the instructions.
- Squeeze the alginate out of the bag into the 1 qt. Hand Casting Bucket.
- Have the child insert their hand into the alginate and immediately remove it.
- Rub the child's hand to dislodge any air bubbles that have formed. These most often occur around the fingernails, between the fingers and in the lines of the palm.
- Have the child put their hand back into the alginate.
- Have them touch their fingertips to the bottom of the bucket and then pull back up about 3/4 of an inch. You can tell how far "up" they are by looking at the ring of alginate on their wrist.
- When the alginate sets (no longer sticky on the surface), wait 40 seconds before starting to remove the hand.
- Have the child wiggle their hand and their fingers. They will feel "air" going down the side of their hands to their fingers. They MUST feel air all the way to their fingertips before beginning to pull upward.
- Slower is always better than faster when removing the hand, but some children pride themselves in being able to do it quickly. This can RUIN the mold.
- Pour the LiquiStone into the mold as soon as possible.
- Wait 1 hour before demolding the cast.
This Child Hand casting kit will produce a stone sculpture of the child's hand that, if treated nicely, can last for generations.
Objects (non-porous ones are best) can be held by the child in the mold. They must leave the object in the mold when removing their hand. The object will be "held" by the stone hand in the sculpture as shown above.
We also carry a Baby Hand Casting Kit for infants through about 6 months.